I Need Housing Help

We believe every young person in County Durham deserves a safe home and a fresh start.

There are many reasons why someone may become homeless including relationship breakdowns, violence and abuse and find that they need a safe place to stay.

Each year Moving On supports over 100 young people by providing temporary accommodation and one to one support so each young person can reach their personal aspirations. We rent and maintain properties from landlords and owners, providing a safe home to young people to stay in the local area.


We work with each young person building on goals including becoming tenancy ready, budgeting, relationship building and getting back into education or employment.


We recognise the importance of living close to family and friends and will accommodate (where possible) to ensure that you are housed near to those who are important to you.

“It was time for me to leave care but I knew that I wasn’t ready to move out into independent living as I had no idea about bills and things. Moving On was the right option for me as I wanted to live on my own and be near my friends. Joanne, my support worker comes and see me each week which is exactly what I need to help me keep on track and help me when things go wrong.”


I Need a Home

Moving On Durham offer supported transitional accommodation. 

Moving On Durham does not provide emergency accommodation.

If you are currently homeless and you live in County Durham, contact the local authority housing solutions team on 03000 268 000 or 01388 722538 outside of office hours.

If you are a professional working with a young person who may need transitional supported housing, please contact us using the details below:

Telephone: 0191 383 1559
Email: referrals@movingondurham.org.uk

Moving On Durham provides supported transitional housing in across County Durham for 16-34 year olds. If you are worried about becoming homeless, you can find helpful information on steps you can take here.

Our office staffing is limited and may not be able to answer advice and guidance questions over the phone.

What is Supported Accommodation?

Supported accommodation means you have an allocated Support Worker who helps you progress towards independent sustainable living with us for up to one year.

If you are aged 16-34 and are homeless, or at risk of homelessness, you may be eligible for supported accommodation, if you:


Have identified support needs


Have had issues sustaining a tenancy previously


Are a young person leaving care


Are a young person who has never previously held a tenancy


Other Agencies to help

Take a look at these other agencies who may be able to help